One of the lovely things about Christmas is the run up to the festive day and all the fun preparation you can turn your hand to. One of my favourite jobs is to make a Christmas door wreath, there is nothing more satisfying than being welcomed to your door by your very own handmade wreath. If you have ever fancied having a go, here are Pod & Pip's easy step by step instructions to follow to make a basic wreath .Once you have your basic fir wreath, you can accessorise it with anything that catches your eye to personalise it and add your own flair!
What you will need - (our wreath kits provide all the materials needed)
Fir springs 4-5 inches long (or longer if you want a bigger wreath)
Decorations - the world is your oyster so you can choose from a huge list of goodies to decorate your wreath with (foraged foliage, eucalyptus, succulents, dried fruit such as oranges, feathers, bauables, ribbons etc etc)
How to make your wreath -
1. Tie the end of your reel wire to your wreath ring
2. Take clumps of moss and place it on the wreath ring and then wrap the reel wire around the moss so that it secures it to the ring. Repeat until all of the wreath ring is covered in moss and you have made a moss ring.
3. Next make a posy of 2-3 fir sprigs and position them at a slight angle (rather than sticking straight up) on to top the moss ring. (Top Tip – put the larger sprigs at the back of the posy and the smaller ones at the front). Then using the reel wire wrap it around the fir posy and the moss ring so that the fir posy is attached the moss ring. Repeat and keep going all the way round until you now have the moss ring covered in fig sprigs.
4. Here comes the fun bit! Take a stem of foliage such as eucalyptus and cut to the size you would like, remove any leaves at the bottom of them stem. Push the stem (removing the bottom leaves makes it easier to push) through the fir sprigs and into the moss ring, don’t worry it will stay there! Repeat with all your foliage.
5. If you have dried fruit or fir cones to decorate use stub wire to wrap or poke through them so that you can then attach them to your wreath. (Top Tip Layout all the dried fruit or fir coneson the wreath before attaching them to see where you would like to position them)
* Attach a ribbon to hang the wreath (the easiest way is to loop the ribbon through the wreath and tie in a knot so that you have created a loop.
Pod & Pip provide Christmas wreath making kits which provide all the basics you will need. Click on www.podandpip.co.uk/shop to order a lovely Christmas gift for yourself or someone special!
We would love to see a picture of your wreaths on Instagram #podandpip